BV Detailing & Design, Inc.
Copyright © 2010 BV Detailing & Design, Inc.
Hippodrome Performing Arts Center N. Eutaw St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
See the following links for additional information:Maryland Stadium Authority Project Page Cinema Treasures Hippodrome Foundation, Inc. The France-Merrick Performing Arts Center
The original Hippodrome Theater building
was designed by Thomas Lamb, and opened on November 23, 1914 with The Iron
Masters on the screen and various vaudeville acts. It was constructed on the
site of the old Eutaw House, a luxury hotel built in 1835. The 3,000 seat theater cost
approximately $225,000. In 1931 it received a major
facelift and impressive new marquee. Some of the entertainers that
performed in the Hippodrome Theater include Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Bob
Hope, Roy Rogers, Tex Ritter, Martha Raye, Milton Berle, the Andrews Sisters,
Morey Amsterdam, Benny
Goodman, Dinah Shore, Jerry Lewis, the original Three Stooges - Ted Healy, Moe
and Shemp Howard - and Red Skelton (1937), Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman (1939),
and Frank Sinatra with the Harry James Orchestra (1939).
The original stage house was demolished for this project. BV Detailing provided the shop drawings of the primary framing, structural miscellaneous, and structural edge material for new construction including a stage house, interior loading dock, south lobby building, and north corridor between the existing Hippodrome Theater and Western National Bank buildings. Parametrics and CNC data were used extensively. Special attention was given to the erectability of framing immediately adjacent to the existing masonry structures. The erection plans were prepared in Autocad R14 directly from DXF output of the SDS/2 model. There were 391 24x36 shop and gather sheets prepared in SDS/2.
Approximate structural steel tonnage of new construction: 792
The project was completed in the Spring of 2004.
Send mail to
BV Detailing with questions or
comments about this web site.